Salary: Competitive salary - Depending on Experience
Package: Health & Wellness: An innovative, new department focused on associate health and wellbeing, with programs such as company sponsored Headspace app subscriptions, Vault financial wellness tools, and access to additional mental health resources, 401k retirement savings plan, with matching contributions of 25% of the first 4% of your eligible compensation, Health, dental, vision insurance with HSA/FSA, infertility benefits, Paid parental, vacation, and sick leave and Flexible scheduling for work/life balance
Professional Development: Continuing Education Allowance and Paid Continuing Education Days, offering abundant CE for Doctors and Staff, Opportunities to mentor with one of the largest providers of private practice internships and residencies in the U.S. Opportunities to participate in a robust clinical studies program
Additional Benefits: Up to 100% Pet Care Discount for your own pets, 100% paid professional liability coverage, 100% paid life insurance, 100% paid short-term and long-term disability insurance, Access to a large network
Type of Work: Small Animal Vet Surgeon
Job Details: The practice is situated 20mins South of Fort Collins.
The Medical Director (MD) under direction of the field management team, is responsible for establishing the medical quality and patient care practiced by all doctors in a given hospital. The MD achieves this through strong leadership and serving as a mentor and role model for the associate veterinarians and staff. A MD should demonstrate a strong work ethic, integrity, and a consistent positive attitude. The MD is also an integral part of the hospital management team responsible for the overall financial performance of the hospital, and helps create and drive the overall direction for the hospital that will achieve positive results. The MD also fulfills all of the duties of a staff veterinarian in addition to the specific responsibilities of Medical Director.
There are some requirements for the role such as:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Ability to take information obtained from clients, staff, and other sources, discern that which is credible, and assess the hospital and/or a situation objectively.
- Ability to multi-task and deal with high levels of stress in an environment of changing priorities
- Able to take charge, initiate actions, hold people accountable, and delegate responsibilities in such a way as to achieve positive results.
- Comfortably and confidently confronts difficult issues with co-workers and is a skilled communicator at multiple levels
- Capable and willing to work the hours necessary to accomplish the required responsibilities and ensure the smooth operation of the hospital
Education and Experience:
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine or equivalent from an accredited university
- Stays up to date with changes in veterinary medicine, completes a minimum of 30 hours of accredited CE per calendar year
- Maintains a current DEA license
Standards of Care:
- Strives to meet or exceed the practice standards of care
- Demonstrates commitment to professional integrity and pursuit of excellence
- Practices ethical medicine at all times and ensures the same from associate doctors
- Ensures positive communication with clients and between doctors. This includes the proper transfer of patient care responsibility between doctors
- Implements information from CMO, RMD, ROD or their representatives
- Ensures email and correspondence is processed and addressed daily
- Medical records are complete, detailed, and signed
- Serves as the primary liaison with Antech Diagnostics and maintains an appropriate level of in-house vs. outside lab sample submission
The role has various responsibilities such as:
- Treats all patients & clients with care and compassion, remembering that the patient’s wellbeing is the top priority.
- Oversees administration and case review of client medical complaints and resolves the problems when possible, while keeping the RMD and ROD informed of progress.
Staff Management – Professional Staff:
- Implements and maintain consistent medical standards and guidelines within the hospital.
- Evaluate quality medical/compliance reports on a monthly basis and take steps to improve areas of poor performance.
- Organize systems for daily medical rounds and ensure they are consistently conducted.
- Review patient records for completeness and accuracy and use as a tool to promote medical excellence.
- Regularly discuss cases with doctors and/or staff to optimize patient care.
- Ensure that credit for procedures is accurately appropriated, and review the detailed orders to ensure that charges are captured and properly assigned.
- Ensure CE requirements are met by all doctors, and that CE attended is relevant to the service mix and needs of the hospital.
- Conduct regular doctor meetings.
- Work with hospital manager to have a doctor’s schedule made available no less than four weeks prior to beginning of month.
- Coordinate doctor coverage to make sure the hospital is covered at all times.
- Assist the Recruiting & Professional Relations Director (RPRD) and field management team in the hiring, disciplinary process, and the firing process of doctors as requested.
- Actively manage all doctors to ensure that they meet expected performance.
- Administer yearly reviews and development plans for all associate doctors under the direction of the RMD or ROD.
- Appropriately manage controlled drugs
Staff Management – Technicians/Assistants and Receptionists:
- Assist the Hospital Manager in ensuring each staff meeting has relevant topics, presenting a medical topic if needed, and participate proactively in the meetings.
- Encourage all staff to increase knowledge through learning opportunities.
- Review staff scheduling with the hospital manager’s attention to assure maximum productivity and optimal client service.
Responsibilities as part of the hospital leadership team:
- Works with the Hospital Manager and staff to deliver a consistent medical message and consistent client experience to each client.
- Responsible for auditing hospital production for accuracy via chart audits and other fee capture methods.
- Represents the hospital to the professional community and the general public as requested.
- Evaluates the need for new medical equipment and works with the Hospital Manager to prepare and submit new equipment proformas to the ROD or their representatives.
- Brings to the Hospital Manager’s attention any problems with physical plant cleanliness, safety, or repairs.
- Participates in meetings or conference calls as requested by field management staff.
- Participates in employee disciplinary procedures, and enforces the practice and individual hospital employee rules and policies.
- Review the P&L monthly and work with the hospital manager to increase profitability by increasing revenue and limiting expenses.
- Work with the HM to prepare and submit the yearly budget (budget forecast, operating plan, cap-ex expenditures) and participate in the evaluation process with field management.
- Support the implementation of their marketing programs.
- Review and approve requests for alternatives of additional drugs and medical supplies. Submit to the RMD or their representative, for approval.
- Assist the medical supplies ordering personnel to maintain a hospital pharmacy; assisting in evaluating reasonable reorder points, generic alternatives, and eliminating underused and redundant drugs.
If you are interested in this role and require further information please:
APPLY NOW BELOW.
Contact: [email protected]
If this role is not quite right for you but you are looking for a new temporary or permanent position please view ALL JOBS or contact us at [email protected].
TheVetService.com is a digitally based international job platform providing all your job needs in the veterinary industry.
Our Services Include:
Clinical Jobs – Locum and Permanent Opportunities for vets and nurses in the UK, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Northern Ireland and the Republic Of Ireland.
Commercial Jobs – Industry and commercial roles from sales to technical advisory positions within many corporate and independent businesses active in the veterinary industry. From Pharmaceutical, wholesaler to financial positions your next step in your career is just a click away.
Webinars - Flexible, Cost Effective Digital Professional Development.
Register today for your free digital portal access and support from one of our expert team on contracts, visas, legislation and payment advice amongst other things.
All conversations are of course confidential.